apricot raisin granola: getting lost in oats and cinnamon


Curse you tummy aches, why must you exist! Do you ever have those days where you're feeling perfectly fine and all of a sudden, bam! Stomach ache or headache or any other physical pain that has no business messing up your day? I had that the other day and I can't figure out why. I'll tell you though, it's annoying. I really hate it when things get in the way of me accomplishing other things (very nice English, I know). It completely disrupts my day. Or night. Or most likely both.

Alright, so maybe I shouldn't be jabbering about my physical ailments (I'm sure everyone cares so much). But I was just thinking that maybe it's a good thing that those things happen sometimes. I'm the kind of person who likes to organize and plan things out. But when unexpected situations arise and it disrupts all your planning, you should be able to find another solution without worrying. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I shouldn't plan so much so that I can let things sort themselves out from time to time. Like this granola for instance: I hadn't PLANNED on it being so damn delicious, but it just ended up being that way. Alright, so that's probably not the best example but seriously, this granola is too good.

I have to admit that I've always been more of a bagels and cream cheese kind of a girl. I'm talking every day. Like if I had to choose the only kind of thing I'd eat for the rest of my life, it would be bagels with cream cheese. (I'm not even kidding). But I thought it might be nice to branch out from time to time so I made some granola and it's like heaven in my mouth. It's definitely the easiest and most versatile thing you could ever make. I literally just opened my pantry and took out everything I had that I could use. You could substitute with any other kind of nut or peanut, any type of dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, mangoes, papaya,  bananas etc) or also adjust the oil, maple syrup and honey. It's completely up to you and should reflect your taste.

I suggest that everyone try a little something new ;)


Tastes-like-sweet-sweet-deliciousness granola

Yields about 3 1/2 cups

Ingredients

2 cups rolled oats
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup dried apricots
1/4 cup raisins

Procedure

Preheat oven to 300F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat. In a medium bowl mix together the oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, coconut, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. In a small bowl combine the oil, honey, maple syrup and vanilla. Pour onto oat mixture and stir well to combine. Spread onto baking sheet and bake about 30-40 minutes. Add dried fruit and bake no more than 10-15 minutes just to absorb any extra moisture. It will still seem wet but as it cools it will dry up. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. Eat with some milk or a dollop of plain or flavoured yoghurt. Yoghurt is my favorite.

Comments

Popular Posts