beet and potato soup: too tough to quit


And so, just like that, it was the end. The end of what, you ask? The end of that granola? Well almost, but I'm making some more so next time A. comes she has something to scarf down. Or is it the end of the bowl of Hershey's Kisses? (They will be gone once V. comes back home, sorry). 

But no, I'm talking about the end of something else. It's the end of school and internships. I really can't believe a year has gone by since we started. It seems like just yesterday my classmates and I were just starting to learn about hygiene, safety and creme patissiere. And now it's all over! It's sort of bittersweet, though because on the one hand, I'm sad that I won't be seeing those faces everyday, but on the other hand, I'm ready to move on. I don't know exactly where I'm going to be even in a couple of months from now but I'm excited about this next step.

Just as I was excited about starting school last year and embarking on something completely new. I sometimes still can't believe this is happening but I must say that I'm quite proud of myself for sticking through it and at least making it this far. Let's hope I actually keep it up. But honestly, I don't really see myself doing anything else so I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. It's a big world out there, there must be some space for little ol' me. If not, I guess I'll have to make space.


I'm really sad about leaving my stage though. I absolutely loved working there and had such a great time with the team. They really made me feel welcome, like I was part of their little family. I'm so grateful for everything I learnt there and the opportunities it gave me. I'm really going to miss it but again, I'm excited about the near future. 

And I'm definitely excited about all the recipes I want to try. I wish I could post new things everyday but it's just not possible when I'm working most of the time. But don't worry little ones, I have lots of things planned for this baby blog of mine. (Can you believe it's almost one year old?!). You just have to be patient and trust that I will always do my best to bring you goodies. (Speaking of which, I really can't eat all this stuff on my own and even though V. will inhale anything I make, I'd love to get some more taste testers - volunteer yourselves!).

This time I'm posting a little something different. It may not be a dessert but beets are sweet so it totally counts. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, because it's ridiculously easy to make, healthy and delicious.


So that's the end of that. But with the end of school and stage, comes more awesome things. For now, to quote my favorite trilogy in five parts: "So long, and thanks for all the fish".

Beet-Carrot-Potato Soup

Yields 2 (large) or 4 (small) servings

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
2-3 garlic cloves, diced
2 shallots, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
2 medium potatoes, cubed
2 medium beets, cubed
2 cups beef broth
Salt, pepper and spices to taste (such as curry, garlic powder and paprika)

Procedure

Heat oil in a large sauce pan and soften the onions slowly until translucent, about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add carrots, potatoes and beets. Add broth and season to taste. Bring to a boil and let simmer, covered 35-45 minutes until vegetables are tender when pierced with a knife. Puree the whole mixture in a blender a little bit at a time (so it doesn't explode in your face) until smooth. Eat with a nummy piece of crusty french bread. Voila!

Comments

  1. Hey its Iaian, I just made this soup and it was scrumptious although Meaghan thought my version looked like ketchup. Thanx for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it Iaian! Meaghan's just a fool haha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts