easter rainbow cake: cluck cluck cluck


It's Easter! Weeeeeeeeeeee!

Bunnies! Daisies! Chickens! Lots of food! Chocolate!

And most importantly of all....Cadbury Creme Eggs. The god of all Eastery goodness.

Weeeee!


Also, rainbow cakes rule. It was really easy (though admittedly, (baking) time consuming) to make and looks fantastic! The red could have been a little darker but I'm still quite pleased with the results. Alternatively, you could make this in pastel colours for Easter, but I wanted a nice bright surprise on the inside. I had so much fun modeling the bunny and all the flowers. I really loved his cute little carrot. I also tossed a few Cadbury mini eggs on the cake for all the kids at the party to eat. (I swear I'm not a Cadbury spokesperson*).



 For the cake, I used this super awesome person's recipe for vanilla cake. I multiplied it by two and a half times and baked the layers in a 10" round pan. Twice the recipe is good for an 8" or 9" round pan. Once the batter is made, divide it into 6 equal portions by weighing it out. (Weigh your mixing bowl first then subtract that number from the total weight of the bowl + batter). Dye each portion with gel food colouring. Use enough to get a nice vivid colour. The colour of the batter will be quite similar to the cake colour. Spread each portion of batter in the pan one at a time and bake at 350 F for about 20 minutes for a 10" layer or accordingly to the size (it should spring back to the touch and a toothpick should come out clean). 

Fill with whatever filling you wish and cover with butter cream and decorate to your heart's desire! I stacked each layer with a raspberry whipped cream.

Ingredients

2 cups (500 ml) heavy cream
~ 1/4 cup liquidy jelly or fruit puree

Whip cream with a whisk to medium-hard peaks and fold in the jelly or puree. Adjust according to taste.

Soon I will post a recipe for buttercream and a tutorial on cake masking.
Happy Easter!


*Eat Cadbury products.

Comments

  1. The rainbow surprise was so original! Not sure who was excited the most between me and the kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake was awesome! The butter cream was sweet without being overpowering and the raspberry whipped cream added great freshness. It looked amazing and was delicious. Thanks so much Lisa.
    Stu
    PS: My wife's fave is the Cadbury Cream Egg. She can't live without them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stu! I had a lot of fun making it. Glad everyone enjoyed it. Let me know if you ever need another cake! And your wife has excellent taste.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts